We offer a full probate service. Our fees are calculated by reference to the value of the Estate. We charge 1.5% plus VAT of the gross value of the Estate subject to a minimum fee of £1500 plus VAT. In addition, disbursements paid as part of the administration will be charged to the Estate. As part of our service, we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced Probate Solicitor to work on your matter.
- Identify the legally appointed Executors or Administrators and Beneficiaries based on the information provided to us.
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require based on the information provided to us.
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application.
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC Inheritance Tax forms.
- Deal with HMRC in respect of any inheritance tax due on the Estate.
- Draft a legal statement for you to sign.
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf.
- Obtain the Probate.
- Collect and distribute all known assets in the Estate.
If there are assets abroad there will be additional fees relating to dealing with those assets charged at our standard hourly rate.
Please be assured that we will handle the full process for you.
Disbursements include the following estimates:
- Inheritance Tax at up to 40% of the value of the Estate, plus any interest on this or fines.
- Probate application fee of £155.00 minimum plus 50p for each additional copy of the Grant. Please note that the Government are proposing increases in Probate fees.
- Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches (£5.00 per beneficiary).
- £150.00 plus VAT estimated for Advert in The London Gazette – Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors.
- £150.00 plus VAT Advert in a Local Newspaper – This also helps to protect against unexpected claims.
- £350.00 plus VAT estimated for Will Search.
- £500.00 plus VAT estimated for valuation of contents of the property.
- Land Registry fees.
- Funeral costs and death certificates.
- House clearance costs.
- Gas, Electric, Telephone and council tax.
- Estate Agents fees and vat.
- Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax plus the costs of filing returns or any fines and interest for the deceased and or the Estate.
- Tracing Beneficiaries £60.00 per person.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as Court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements if the Estate is solvent apart from the funeral, inheritance tax and probate fees on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Potential additional costs
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the Estate is not included.
- Dealing with contested disputes relating to the Estate or Claims relating the validity of the Will is not included.
How long will this take?
On average, Estates are dealt with within 6-12 months. If the Estate includes property it may take longer if a sale needs to be achieved. If the Estate is complex it may take much longer to administer and is often dependant on third parties involved as well.
Inheritance tax is charged at up to 40% on the taxable Estate, gifts to charities are free of tax and the Estate could potentially have certain allowances available against it. If the Deceased was a widowed parent that inherited all of their spouse’s Estate, then the maximum allowance would be around £1,000,000.00 allowance, however if they were unmarried and had no children then the maximum of £325,000.00 allowance would be available, inheritance tax is charged on the amount of the Estate at a maximum of 40%.
In addition to inheritance tax there is interest charged on the tax after six months and fines if no return is filed within one year of death. Plus, if you fail to apply for the transferrable nil rate band allowance of two years of death you will lose the automatic right to benefit from this allowance.
Where there is a property to be sold another expense is the estate agents’ fees, which are on average between 1% to 2% of the property value plus VAT.
Grant Only Service
We also provide a service limited only to the obtaining of the Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration. We will obtain the grant based upon the information that you provide to us relating to Assets and Liabilities. Once the Grant has been received you will then be responsible for paying liabilities and distributing the Estate.
A. To obtain a Grant only where there is no inheritance tax payable and an IHT205 only needs to be completed, our fees are £950 plus VAT and disbursements.
B. To obtain a Grant only where there is no tax payable (IHT205) but an unused nil rate band needs to be claimed, our fees are £1,100 plus VAT and disbursements.
C. To obtain a Grant only where there is no tax payable but an IHT400 needs to be completed with 1-4 schedules, our fees are £1500 plus VAT and disbursements.
D. To obtain a Grant only where there is no tax payable but an IHT400 needs to be completed with more than 4 schedules, our fees are £1850 plus VAT and disbursements.
E. To obtain Grant only where inheritance tax is payable, our fees are £2000 plus VAT and disbursements.
Fixed-Fee for uncontested debt matters
Guide to Probate costs
Stage 1 – Fixed Fee Letter of Claim
Our Fee (Inc of VAT)
Letter of Claim (14-day letter) – company debtor
(includes – taking instructions, sending LOC and updating you) £90.00
Letter of Claim (30-day letter) – individual debtor
(includes – taking instructions, sending LOC and updating you)£180.00
(These fees are on the provision that you provide us with the relevant information in respect of the debt and complete our Debt Questionnaire)
Chasing letter: £23.40
Negotiations and managing payment plan: Hourly Rate (to be advised)
Stage 2 – Commencing Proceedings
(Commencing Proceedings: including drafting Particulars of Claim, calculating interest, managing Claim through initial process, and advising on important time limits)
Please note: Money on account is required for Court Proceedings to commence
|Amount of Claim/debt||Our Fee Court (Inc of VAT)||Court Fee||Recoverable if successful (plus Court fee)|
|Up to £300.00||£120.00||£25.00||£50.00|
|£300.01 and £500.00||£180.00||£35.00||£50.00|
|£500.01 and £1,000.00||£300.00||£60.00||£70.00|
|£1,000.01 and £1,500.00||£360.00||£70.00||£80.00|
|£1,500.01 and £3,000.00||£480.00||£105.00||£80.00|
|£3,000.01 and £5,000.00||£600.00||£185.00||£80.00|
|£5,000.01 and £10,000.00||£1,200.00||£410.00||£100.00|
|£10,000.01 and £200,000.00||hourly rate||5% of Claim||TBA|
Stage 3 – Judgment “CCJ”
(Judgment/Enforcement: including applying for Judgment, calculating further interest applicable, and advising on time limits/impact of Judgment against Defendant)
Obtaining Judgment (where no response is received)
Amount of Claim/debt Our Fee Court Fee Recoverable if successful
(Inc of VAT)
£25.00 – £5,000.00 £120.00 £0.00 £22.00
Above £5,000.00 £180.00 £0.00 £30.00
Obtaining Judgment (where acknowledgment/admission is received but no defence)
Amount of Claim/debt Our Fee Court Fee Recoverable if successful
(Inc of VAT)
£25.00 – £5,000.00 £180.00 £0.00 £25.00
Above £5,000.00 £240.00 £0.00 £35.00
Obtaining Judgment (where debtor offers a payment)
This will be charged at our Hourly Rate (to be advised)
Stage 4: Enforcement: Getting your money
If you require further assistance to enforce the County Court Judgment (“CCJ) to ensure you recover the amount outstanding from the Defendant, then we can advise on appropriate enforcement options, such as:
- Attachment of Earnings Order;
- Legal Charges on Properties;
- Statutory Demands;
- Appointing High Court Enforcement Officers;
- Third Party Debt Orders;
- Applications to the Court for further Financial Information.
Estimates of fees, to be provided in respect of Enforcement.
Any matter that is clearly disputed and argued will fall out of this fixed fee Staged procedure. Please note that any work not covered by the above fixed fees and will be charged at our at Hourly rates plus VAT (to be advised).