A Will ensures that when you die, your estate is managed by the person that you choose, and your assets are given to those that you wish to provide for. Without a Will, your estate will be divided and distributed in accordance with Intestacy Rules which may mean your family or loved ones do not receive what you wanted them to.
A Will also makes it easier for your loved ones to sort everything out after you die, reducing the amount of stress at an already difficult time.
You can also use a Will to tell people about any other wishes that you have, for example, instructions for your funeral and cremation or burial.
Our local Will Writing Solicitors can help you with the following activities:
- Ensure that those you have nominated to inherit your assets on your death actually receive them
- Nominate Executors of your choice to deal with the distribution of your estate in the certain knowledge that they will comply with your wishes
- Nominate preferred guardians of your children to avoid disagreements or family upsets
- Make small personal gifts
- Take advantage of tax-saving strategies
- Ensure the continuation of a family business
- Explain why a possible Beneficiary is being excluded
- Set up Trusts and make gifts to charity
What happens if I do not make a Will?
If you die without leaving a Will, the law decides who gets what, regardless of your relationship with people when you were alive. Dying without a Will is called Intestacy or dying intestate.
Common outcomes if you die without a Will include:
- If you are not married or in a civil partnership, your partner is not legally entitled to anything
- If you are married, your spouse might inherit all of your estate, with nothing going to your children. This can also happen if you are separated but not yet divorced
- Depending on where in the UK you live, how much your children or grandchildren are entitled to changes. With a Will, you can control this.
- Without a Will, the amount of Inheritance Tax due could be more than anticipated
- If you die without close relatives, your estate will belong to the government, under a law called Bona Vacantia
How do I make a Will?
If you have a small family, then making a Will is relatively straightforward. If you have a second family or would like to leave assets and gifts to several people, this will need to be carefully planned. Either way, do not worry, we can help you to arrange your Will.
We will arrange either a face to face meeting, telephone or video call to discuss your estate and how you would like it to be divided after you die. Depending on the level of simplicity, we can then either write the Will straightaway or arrange another meeting for further planning.
Before the initial meeting, think about what you would like to leave to whom and who you would like to be your Executor. Also, consider talking to your family as they may have other suggestions. Having a plan ready makes the process much simpler.
What is the cost of making a Will with a solicitor?
The cost of writing a Will depends a lot on how complicated your wishes are, but to give a guideline:
- A simple Will costs from £250 plus VAT
- A complex Will costs from £500 plus VAT
- A specialist Will will be charged at our usual hourly rate appropriate to the solicitor drafting your Will
What is the benefit of using a Solicitor Will Writing Service?
Having your Will written by a solicitor ensures that it is watertight and will give you the most peace of mind, especially if your affairs are complex.
The main reason to choose a Solicitor Will Writing Service are:
- If you have a complicated family situation, with former partners, estranged children, second families etc
- If you want to protect the interests of someone after you are gone, i.e., a disabled family member
- If your estate is more than £325,000 and will be required to pay Inheritance Tax
- If you would like to discuss your situation and options before writing a Will
Can you store my Will?
Yes, we can, and this is included as part of our service at no additional cost.
We have a specialist storage facility that will ensure your Will is protected from theft, fire or water damage, but can also be accessed easily in the event of your death.
If you have started to think about your Will and what happens to your estate after you die, get in touch with us. We will answer any questions that you have and help you through the process.
"You couldn’t improve the service, it was faultless. I found dealing with Simper Law an absolute pleasure from the first phone call to completion of my Will. Everyone I spoke to was helpful and friendly and Kim made the whole process easy and stress free. Many thanks and I won’t hesitate to recommend you."
Client: Mrs Loveday
"Very informative and clear. The Solicitor fully understood out requirements. Everything was completed to our satisafction in a suitable timeframe. The service and the delivery of the service was exemplary. First class from all concerned. It was apparent from the first meeting that we had chosen well in approaching Simper Law. First class knowledge and customer care at all times. Very attentative, helpful and efficient."
Client: Mr and Mrs Hall
“Nothing could be improved with the service. Extremely satisfied.”
Client: Mrs B Laidler
Client: Mr & Mrs F.
Client: Mr & Mrs J.
Client: Mr & Mrs Hannant
"Victoria is the perfect Solicitor and will fight your corner every step of the way. Victoria has a way of making you feel at ease and you are made to feel like you are the most important person in the world, I highly recommend Simper Law."
Client: Tracey Bellward
Client: John Graham
Victoria was able to achieve more in a week than I was able to in a year! I cannot fault the level of customer service or professionalism throughout the process and what sometimes can be a very stressful procedure was anything but. If I have another issue like this arises in the future then Simper Law will be my first point of call and I would recommend them to family, friends and colleagues without hesitation."
Client: Niall Secker
Client: Anthony Joseph
Client: Doreen Avellino
Client: Paul Horrex
Client: Carol Rose
It was a task I was dreading and Sally made it easier and more effortless than I imagined it could be. Thank you."
Client: Sandra Boatman
Client: Sally Burrell